Saturday, March 27, 2010

Very Sad News

On Friday our dog, Punkin Doodles, was injured. Bob had run errands and just returned home. Checotah and Lola came out to greet him, but Punkin didn't come - which was unusual. Checotah had blood all over her face. Bob wondered where Punkin was - he called and called for Punkin, but she didn't come. Punkin is very obedient and comes whenever called. So, Bob thought Punkin might be injured and maybe out in the back field, so he started walking out that direction. He didn't see her, and turned around to head back towards the house. Punkin was limping towards him from the house. She must have been under the porch. Her left back leg was just hanging there and she was hobbling on three legs and was bleeding. Bob loaded Punkin into the truck and headed for the veterinarian's office.

Bob thought that maybe Checotah and Punkin got into a fight, but the veterinarian said the injury was much more serious that what an animal could do. He thought she had probably been hit by a car.

Punkin has been sedated and has been made as comfortable as possible. The veterinarian didn't expect her to make it through the night - but she did. On Monday we will have to make a decision. Bob and I are so sad. Punkin has been our baby for 12 years. We love her very much.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I am so sad to hear about Punkin's accident. The poor dog. I know how much she is loved.

Diane and Brent had to put their Lapsa Apsa down yesterday.

CATHY said...

Oh my goodness, that is the worse news. I still grieve over my 3 dogs we lost. You know how I loved those critters. They were a pain in the "you know where" but they were our babies.
I am so sad for Punkin. She is the best natured and lovable dog I know.
You and Bob will do what's best, I am sure.
It's the saddest thing.

Dore' said...

Oh no! I am so sorry. I love that Punkin doodles. She is so sweet. I am praying the decision will be clear cut for you on Monday and you will be at peace with it. Nothing much sadder than this. (((hugs)))

Rachael said...

Mom, post an update on her surgery! Is she home?

Natalie said...

we want to know how she is doing. give her lots of kisses from me.