Friday, April 2, 2010

It's been one week . . .

It's been one week since Punkin was hit by a car. The veterinarian didn't expect Punkin to make it through the night but she did. Her leg was amputated on Monday and we brought her home on Tuesday. She is so sweet. When I got home from work on Wednesday, Punkin was resting on her bed in the back mud room. I went upstairs to change my clothes before taking Punkin outside for awhile. When I went in the back room where Punkin was, she saw that I had my sweats on and I was putting on my tennis shoes. She got up from her bed, started whining, wiggling her body, and headed for the door. She wanted to go for a walk with me. She could hardly control herself she was so excited! She wanted to go for a walk with me. (Before Punkin's accident, Punkin and I would walk 3 1/5 to 5 miles every evening and she loved it!) I told Punkin she couldn't go for a walk with me yet, she needed to get better first. I did take her outside and walk around in the yard for a little while.

At two o'clock in the morning, Bob heard Punkin barking and got up to check on her. When he got to the back room, Punkin was standing by the door wanting to go out. So Bob grabbed his coat and put his shoes on and out they went. Punkin went out on the porch and gave three loud barks and then made a bee-line for the barn. Bob followed her and Punkin was insistent that she go in the barn. So Bob opened the door and Punkin went in and checked everything out. When she finished, she went to the barn basement door and started whining wanting in so Bob opened the door and went in with her and she checked out the basement of the barn and then was satisfied that everything was in order and went back to the house and back to bed.

Checotah and Lola are being very good to Punkin and they don't bother her much at all. Checotah came over to her today and Punkin licked Checotah's ears. All three of our dogs are the sweetest animals. Bob and I worked outside today in the yard. The weather was perfect - 80 degrees. The dogs enjoyed having us out there with them. Checotah and Lola saw something over in the wooded area and took off running and to my surprise Punkin went running with them. She is doing really well. We take her back to the veterinarian in another week to have the staples removed.
















We didn't finish cleaning out all of our flower beds, but we got two of them done. Tina, we planted the perennials you sent home with me in this flower bed. I'm anxious to see how they grow here. Punkin was outside all day today.
















We have got to find a more attractive way of watering our dogs.














Here you can see Punkin only has three legs.











Punkin is running in this picture. She is really getting around well.













Here's the second flower bed we worked on. We ran out of mulch before we finished with this bed. The buckets on the porch is what we collect the sap for making maple syrup. The season for collecting sap was very short this year and we'll only get about nine gallons of syrup.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

your grass and flowerbeds look so nice! And Punkin looks perfectly normal from most angles! She is so sweet. I'm glad she's doing so good. I still hate that she only has 3 legs, it doesn't seem fair but at least shes making the best of it.

Tina in CT said...

Your flower beds look so neat and tidy. I hope the perennials I gave you do well.

So good to hear how well Punkin is doing.

I bought a lot of plants yesterday at Walmart - pansies, tulips, hyacinths - so I'll be planting tomorrow.

Rachael said...

Your flower beds do look great. I'm thinking I need to mulch again this year (I have skipped the last 2) and I am dreading it. It's so much work!

I'm so glad Punkin in doing so well!

Dore' said...

Punkin looks great! I am so happy to hear that. You always have such nice flowers. I am sure that this year will be no exception. Mmm.. maple syrup. Too bad it was such a short year. I can't believe it's 80 degrees there. It has been freezing here.. well, not really. But it feels like it. Highs in the low 60's.

CATHY said...

Dogs are so amazing and so loyal. Talk about unconditional love...so glad she is doing so well.

Love the flower beds...they are a lot of work but well worth it.