Friday, January 15, 2010

Homemade Bagels


Today I decided to make bagels. I found a recipe in one of my cookbooks. I added rosemary (my favorite herb) to the raw dough. After mixing the dough it had to rest for 15 minutes. Then to form the bagels, you just roll a piece of the dough into a ball and then poke your finger throught the center and shape it. Not too difficult. Then you have to cover them and let them rise for about 30 minutes. Then you place the bagels under the broiler for a minute on both sides and then place in a pot of hot water (that is simmering on the stove) for seven minutes turning once. After removing from the hot water, drain on paper towels and then place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. They turned out really nice and I love the rosemary I added. Fresh homemade bagels are the best! I'll certainly be making these again.


6 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow - I'm impressed - both that you blogged, and that you made bagels. They look great. Wish I could try them.

The pretzels I made last week turned out good, by the way. They didn't really taste like Auntie Anne's, but they were still very good.

Lori said...

Mom didn't we make those before. It sounds very familiar.
Anyway, they look great. Love the plate they are on too.

Natalie said...

oh that sounds so yummy right now! you made them once before bt they were lopsided, not perfect like this time. do you remember? i think we lived in CA or TX.

Tami said...

Mmmm... they look awful good. Would you mind posting the recipe? :)

Dore' said...

I second Tami's request. They look so tasty! I want to try one.

Dore' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.