Wednesday, April 15, 2009

This and That

While I was in Michigan spoiling my newborn granddaughter, Isabella, our barn cat had four kittens. Bob had moved the large oval shaped washtub (the one that had been home to Liesel, Tina's dog, while we were waiting for Tina to come and start the spoiling process) also the washtub was home to twelve baby chicks last summer - both times the washtub was housed in my kitchen - this time Bob placed it in the perfect spot in the barn and put hay in the bottom and a quilt on top so Bootsey (the barn cat) would have a nice place to have her babies. Bootsey was not pleased with our selection of a birthing room and chose her own on the second story of the hay loft in the larger of our two barns. In order for us to see the kittens we have to climb up a very old ladder into the hay loft and then up to the next loft above that.



Here is Bob on the first loft level(yes, he still has that beard - until the middle of June).








Bootsey isn't too pleased that we are spoiling her new babies. She knows that after we get tired of them we'll give them back to her and then she'll have to settle them all down again.






Kittens are just so cute. Three of them are tiger stripped and one is solid gray with blue eyes. Their eyes have just opened.

Aren't they just adorable? We have homes for two of them but we need good homes for the other two. We had homes for all four before they were born and then the family that wanted two of them got restless and went to the humane society and got two cats.


This is Bootsey's choice of a birthing room.



Finally, signs of spring.



Hannah and Matthew came over this past Sabbath to play with the kittens and Hannah picked me a bouquet of daffodils which now brighten my dining room table.



I made this purse, and I'm so disappointed that this picture doesn't show the pleats. The purse has pleats on the front and back of the purse that took me three hours to pleat and stitch.




It's much bigger than I thought it would be.




On the inside I made a hanging pocket with a zipper for my camera and cell phone.

Shannon and Madeline came over on Sunday and we had a great time together. Shannon made a purse for herself and I made one for a friend at work. My batteries were dead so I couldn't take a picture.


Bob has started working in the garden already - he has planted strawberry plants, three more rows of raspberry plants, onions, and potatoes. We have 20 gallons of maple syrup this year from the sap Bob gathered in March.
I'm going to try and take some maple syrup to Russia for Tamara and her family. I'm not quite sure how to pack it. Any ideas?

10 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Bootsie and her kittens are so cute! She was not a smart girl to use the hayloft instead of the nice manmade birthing room. Can you imagine have to climb up to the second loft when you're in labor? Ohhhhh!

Your purse is lovely. You do such beautiful sewing. I am sure your coworker will be thrilled with the one that you made her.

Don't you just love spring flowers? They are my favorite. I'm surprised your daffodils are in bloom as it's colder where you live than here in CT. Tami said that there will be flowers everywhere in Moscow that the city will have planted for Victory Day.

Did I tell you that Tami told me the Russian government seeds the clouds (whatever that is) so that it won't rain over the Victory Day holiday weekend? So, we'll have great weather for sightseeing and a lot of the Muscovites will have left the city on Thursday or Friday for their country dachas and not return until Monday night.

Dore' said...

Cats are finicky creatures like that.. Who knows what goes through their minds. lol I guess she wanted something a little smaller and cozier. Hot air rises and the area looks really small. But what adorable kittens!

Your daffodils look great and I love the purse. Did your whole family make purses? They are very nice.

As far as the maple syrup.. Maybe a a plastic juice jug with a screw cap lid? Will they let you even take it out of our country and into theirs? It would be a shame to have them throw it out.

Rachael said...

I was going to say, carry it on, but that would only work if you put it in 3 oz. bottles! Wrap it up good, so it doesn't break or spill. Probably a plastic container would be best. Hey, how about using a plastic syrup bottle from the store once it's empty? (You could buy a cheap one and dump it, since you have much better syrup at your disposal.)

The kittens are cute. And, does one of those kittens have six toes on her paws? It looks like it in the picture.

Tina in CT said...

I think a plastic bottle that people use for water bottles would be a good carrier and it would then be easy to pour over pancakes. I'd double or triple bag it in ziplock baggies. As for the jam, keep it in the canning jar and double bag it in ziplock baggies. Tami and family will certainly appreciate receiving them.

Natalie said...

I was going to make that same purse! But i went with "b" instead. maybe i will make that one this time around.yours is so cute! Oh and the kitties are just adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh my goodness Cecelia!!! So excited for you. I haven't been on facebook...oopps I mean blogspot in so long... I was trying to catch up on everything which is crazy when you have dial up..lol Any way... love your purse and congratulations.. When do you go to Russia? So happy for you..Can't wait to see the blogs.
love Teen

Lori said...

Mom do you want me to send you one of my maple syrup jugs that I have? they are small and plastic so would probably pack well. Let me know if you do.
Also as soon as you find homes for those adorable kittens get Bootsie fixed, a free roaming cat could cause a repeat of this over and over and over. It's really only fun the first time.
The purse is really cute, you'll be able to use it in Russia and put all kinds of stuff in it.

CATHY said...

Okay, now I am going to go to Joann's and get a purse pattern. I love them all....
I am still working on my quilt, remember the tippee canoe pattern? Or, were you taking the class then? Anyway, It's finally quilted and am working on the binding. One down, two to go.
I posted pics of the pillowcase for you, will send pattern too.

MoscowMom said...

Hi! What a pretty purse! Will it be coming to Moscow? :-)

As for the maple syrup... YUM!!!! Yours is the BEST we've ever had! We all adore it!!!! I could add on a Nalgene leak-proof water bottle to an order I'll place as soon as I have your address... Those truly don't leak. You just then take duct tape and seal it around the nozzle, and put inside a few plastic bags.

We could use the Nalgene once here...

Julie said...

I would like to be able to respond to Tina in CT but don't know how to. She comments on my blog and then how do I comment back to her. I can't see her blog when I pull it up off your comments.