Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm going to . . . You're not going to believe this one

This past Sunday morning, I packed the car, with the help from Todd and began the long 12 hour trip home. Tears streaming down my cheeks as I pull out of the drive-way waving towards the windows of the house that I can't see through, but am hoping the kids are waving back at me. By the time I reached Indiana the tears had stopped, but not my desire to be back with my girls and grandchildren in Michigan.

The trip was - for the most part - uneventful. Derrick's parents had given me The Hiding Place by Corrie Tin Boon on CD and I enjoyed every minute of it. I made only one stop to fill up with gasoline and a quick potty break - and oh, there was one more stop - the "door ajar"light came on shortly after I had just passed Buffalo so I pulled over on the highway and re-arranged the back luggage and re closed the door. I returned to my seat anxious to get going to continue listening to my story - only to discover the light "door ajar" was still on. I got back out - opened the door that didn't seem to be ajar in any way, reshuffled the stuff inside and re closed the door. That's when I realized that it was the window and not the door. I never open the window in the back of the vehicle, so I'm not sure how it popped open after so many hours of driving but it did. Soon I was back on the road.

I decided that since I had made my trip is such record time I would stop by Shannon's house and meet Charlie, Madeline's new dog. It's really quite hard to find your cell phone in a purse the size of a small suitcase, find the number on the contact list, watch for cops - you get ticketed in New York in you are caught talking on a cell phone - and watch out for the cars that are passing because you're paying too much attention to the story on CD's. Finally, I turned off the CD player so I could concentrate on the phone call. Soon I arrived at Shannon's and enjoyed a serving of homemade vegetarian pot pie while we waited for Madelin, Andy, and Charlie to get home from the park. Soon they arrive and I meet the sweetest dog I think I've ever met - excluding my three (Punkin, Lola, and Checotah) of course. And then there is Calvin, Carl, and Stella - Rachael's dogs - And of course there's Brewster, Lori's dog - And then Molly, Ryan's dog - And I can't forget Walter, Natalie's dog. But Charlie is a really sweet well behaved dog that Madeline just adores. I remember some time back when I was visiting at Rachael's house and her nanny didn't seem to mind the two big dogs running around in the house. I made some comment to her about the animals and she told me that you can tell what kind of person the owner is by the way their dogs act. Interestingly enough, I've found that statement to be true! Except for poor Tina and her dog Liesel.

I arrived at home late Sunday evening. Bob wasn't at home so I hauled everything into the kitchen and then began carrying each box, suitcase, etc to the correct room. It didn't take long to put everything away and I was soon ready for bed. Five thirty A.M. came much too soon on Monday morning, but I managed to pull myself together and head for work. Upon my arrival to my office, I opened the door to see a beautiful gift basket sitting on my desk. I picked up the card and opened it. It was from my boss - "Welcome back" was on the inside of the card. My week was extremely busy, but rewarding. I took the basket home and Bob and I enjoyed unwrapping the clear plastic wrap and looking at the treasures - an antique hummingbird feeder and food - a suet feeder and food - a copper bird feeder and food - Bob and I will both enjoy this thoughtful gift.

Monday morning, I checked the blogs that I read to see if there was any new news. There was nothing new with my girls, so I continued looking at the other blogs I read. I noticed that on Tamara's blog she blogged about a ridiculous low round-trip price ticket to Moscow. I thought to myself - that's a great deal - in the back of my mind I was wishing I could take her up on the offer she put out to - I'm sure it wasn't for me - why she only knows me through her mom and my daughter, Rachael.

Later that morning, I checked my e-mails and there was one from Tina. I clicked on the message and I couldn't believe what I was reading. Tina had just informed me that Rachael, Katya, and Jack were going to Russia. Tina suggested that we both go too! Tina had already called her daughter and had all the accommodations, meals, and entertainment taken care of. All that was needed was a "yes" from me. I wanted to stand up and jump up and down, but I needed to get back to work - so I quickly e-mailed Tina to let her know I would talk to Bob when I got home from work and get back with her on Tuesday.

Once I got home I called Rachael and we talked about what all would be involved with going. It sounded so complicated. Not only did I need a passport (which I already have) I would have to get a visa. I had no idea how to go about getting a visa and then I would have to drive to JFK because that's where the cheap flight originates from. I was too tired and decided that I couldn't go. On Tuesday I couldn't get my mind off the chance of a life-time to visit Russia. I mentioned the opportunity to my boss and he told me to change the committee meetings to another day, notify the pastors, and go! Bob had told me I should go the night before - but I wasn't sure. I wanted to, but I was a little apprehensive about flying. Then I remembered the e-mail I received from my friend Cathy in California - she was right - I would fly again.

I got home on Wednesday evening much too late to call Rachael and let her know that I wanted to go with her and the kids to Russia, so I e-mailed her and then I e-mailed Tina too.

Rachael purchased my ticket today - Tina's daughter purchased her ticket today and we will all be traveling to Russia (Rachael had already purchased her ticket and the children's). I'm so excited!!! I can't believe I'm going to Russia!!! What am I going to wear?

13 comments:

CATHY said...

Gee, I haven't been on my blog in a while. Glad to see someone updated theirs.
Read that book too...loved it.
Glad to see you got my email, just remember what you do before flying.
Russia, how exciting. Have a wonderful time!

Tina in CT said...

What a great blog tonight!

I am so, so excited to see my family as it's been months since I've seen the girls and my daughter and two years since I've seen my SIL.

As for clothes, Lands End online here I come for casual cotton knit slacks and tops. Comfort is the key. One nice outfit for our night at the Bolshoi Ballet.

Did you think you'd be at the Bolshoi celebrating Mother's Day with your daughter and friends?

Moscow, here the troops come armed with 4 women that blog and scrapbook and take lots of pictures of 4 adorable children.

We'll be there in Victory Park on Victory Day, May 11th, to celebrate the end of WWII with all the patriotic Muscovites! We'll be there with thousands of others to enjoy the festivities. Each Mother's Day, we'll have those memories.

I'll call you tonight.

Tina in CT said...

Charlie looks just like my friend's dog (where Diane is a nanny). If he's as great a dog as Cocoa is, he's a gem! They are VERY expensive dogs so they sure were lucky to be given Charlie.

MoscowMom said...

I'm so excited you're coming! We'll have such a wonderful time!

You'll be here at the very best time of year: the weather will be in the sixties at the most, so we won't get too hot while walking all around; the flowers will all be in bloom; the city will be beautifully and patriotically decorated for Victory Day (May 9th) so you'll definitely feel it's RUSSIA; the river cruise will be operating; Gorky Park will be open but not too crowded; many Muscovites will actually be out of town that weekend to get things planted at their dachas or to go on vacation-- so the subway will be MUCH less crowded (super important since we'll be a big group with kids).

Tina in CT said...

Visas - That's a job we all will have to get done this weekend and Fed Ex'd on Monday to the agency in NYC.

I just spoke with my daughter (stayed up late to call her).

My SIL in found out that you and I were also coming when she was using the charge card to purchase the airline ticket. Surprise - he's getting two MIL's for Mother's Day!

Dore' said...

How exciting!! It sure sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time. Enjoy.. and I will look forward to seeing the pictures and reading all about it on your blog when you return. :)

Rachael said...

I'm glad you decided to throw caution to the wind and go for it! We'll have lots of fun, if we can manage to get any rest while we're there! I'm going to do my research on jet lag prevention and I'm packing the sleeping pills!!!

Natalie said...

WHAT? MOM, are you OUT OF YOUR MIND? Are you getting old and crazy? Am I going to have to worry about you doing crazy things like you worry about me? Oh, my goodness. I didnt used to have to worry about you, but now I am. It's so dangerous out of our safe, familiar country! I didnt know Rach and the kids were going either! I guess I'm excited for you, but I need to know when you are going so that I know when to start worrying.

Tina in CT said...

Natalie,

Hey, your mom and I are "with it spontaneous grandmas" along with your sister. Picture this: Red Square, 2 grandmas, 2 thirty something moms and 4 adorable kids. We're all posing each other to take the famous pictures. Wonder how many pictures will be taken over the long weekend? It's a chance of a lifetime for your mom, sister, niece and nephew to have a personal guided tour of Moscow with an American thirty something mom that speaks fluent Russian (among many other languages), 2 American kids that speak fluent Russian and through in that the thirty something mom knows her way all around the city. We will have a blast! Of course, scheduling bathroom time for all of us in the apt. that only sports one will be a little challenging. Guess the 3 girls will all bathe together to cut down on time. Tami and I have discussed menus, restaurants, sightseeing, etc. I'm the instigator that thought "Hey, this would be fun for Cecelia and me so I called my daughter and asked her. She thought it was a good idea and would be fun so I immediately emailed your mom and probably almost caused her to fall off her desk chair at work." Two years ago this spring when Tami and Rachel met at the Hard Rock, who would have thought that I'd become good friends with your mom and we'd be joining Rachel, Jack and Katya to go visit my daughter, SIL and granddaughters in Moscow of for Mother's Day and Victory Day!

Tina in CT said...

Rachel,

Bring along all those pill samples as we might need them.

Lori said...

If it makes you feel better, I cried after you left last Sunday too, and I haven't done that since I was a kid saying goodbye to Grandma Annie after visiting.
Im so glad your going, i think you all will have a great time and Im sure you wont regret it.

Julie said...

How exciting. Tell Tina that I am so happy for you all. Trip of a lifetime I am sure. Have fun.

Annie said...

I'm glad I found your blog! I'm Rachael's blog friend (another adoptive mom) but I have the feeling you and I are more of an age. I'm doing a second-time-around mothering stint.

I'm thrilled about your trip; wish it were me, but vicarious living is a pleasure, too.