Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Been a Long Week

The traffic here in Albany brings back memories of when we lived in California. I'm so thankful I now live in a little town in New York and there isn't heavy traffic. I've been "running" all week and today I had to go out and try to find some place to make copies. I didn't have any luck, so I just used my scanner/copier that I brought from home. It took a while, but I accomplished my task.

Before leaving for our trip to Albany, I had to can pears. A church member has a pear tree and doesn't like pears, so he picked them and brought them over to us. I think canned pears are my favorite. I just love them.


I canned a total of 15 jars. I can hardly wait for winter so I can open a jar and eat them. Maybe I won't wait until winter. We'll see.

This week my work days were long and busy and then when I finally got home, I had a million things that had to get done. We had to leave by noon on Thursday to make it to Albany for our first meeting. Thursday morning, I had to do four loads of laundry before we could pack. So while the laundry was going, I cleaned up the house a little and canned pears. Bob was busy pulling the onions in the garden so they could dry while we were away and then he had to vacuum and clean both vehicles. But first, he had to unload all the stuff I had brought home from the office that had to go to Albany. At eleven o'clock, the last load of laundry was finished. I retreived our luggage out of the back storage room and started packing. Both Bob and I had to pack un-ironed clothes. There just wasn't time to iron. We don't get to stay in a four star motel. Let's just say, it's not a place you want to spend too much time in and the chances of it having an iron and ironing board were questionable. So I brought my own iron and ironing board. I also had to quickly pack a few other things to bring with me that have been needing my attention at home, but haven't made it to the top of my to do list. We still haven't filed our taxes for '07 so I had to bring all our receipts and adding machine. Our accountant was hoping to receive this information in August, but I didn't quite make that deadline. Bob called him to see if we could make another extension. Our accountant just laughed. We knew the answer, we were just hoping. Then Rachael had sent me beautiful fabric and a pattern to make pajamas for American Girl dolls to sell in her Etsy store, and I haven't done that yet either. So, I packed my sewing accessories, the fabric, pattern and my sewing machine. Then I had to pack a couple of new books that I purchased at Sturbridge Village. One of them is a new cookbook with recipes using pumpkin. We have lots of pumpkins in the garden so I'm hoping to try some new recipes when I get back home. I have to work on the advertising, and plan for a cooking school that I'm leading out in the first Sunday in October, so I had to bring stuff to work on that too.

Bob packed both vehicles and we headed out at 12:30 p.m. We were very tired and had to fight falling asleep as we drove, but we made it safely.

Bob and I went out to eat and pick-up a few more craft items and when we returned to the motel, the pastors that Bob is on the team with were going to be leaving in half an hour. I had to do some ironing for the weekend, so I decided to just stay in the motel room and relax.

My boss has called several times this evening, and I just received another call, so I'll have to cut my blog off for now. I have another project he wants done.

10 comments:

Lori said...

Man, you two are always on the go. Don't you ever just do nothing?

Anyway, I am trying to talk Todd into a little mini trip to NY for a visit in Oct. I'll have to check your schedule to see if you'll be around. Were thinking of the Oct 11/12 weekend.

Natalie said...

Just dont answer the phone when he calls. He will then be forced to manage on his own. Why did you take two cars? If you really have that much stuff, maybe you should have left some of it behind. Have you been watching the hurricane? It's headed straight to where Lindsay lives. They are staying there too! Pray for their safety. Don't you just hate those busy weeks when you know you won't get good sleep until its over!

Tina in CT said...

Oh my goodness. Even bringing your sewing machine. You sure pack heavy with everything but the kitchen sink.

Diane and I were at the midnighter crop tonight and she had Ferbie her little puppy. He is so good and slept in his little fabric carrier on the table by her.

Rachael said...

Well, at least they have internet at your non-four star motel!

Are you going to have any time to work with all those projects?

(I can't believe you had to take two cars!)

Tina in CT said...

Maybe you took two vehicles as you will not be staying the entire time?

Diane called me after scrapping last night and I read her your blog. She also cracked up about bringing everything but the kitchen sink.

Off to shop to make something for a neighborhood cookout.

Unknown said...

I can't believe you consider ironing RELAXING.

Tina in CT said...

Shannon: Me either.

Shannon said...

Mom,
Where are you? I know you have been busy but, I miss you blogging and i miss you cause you are too far from home. At least blog again soon.

Adoption Blog said...

Oh I love canned pears! Would you share your secret and tell me how you prepare them before you you put them in the jars, plllleeeaaassseee???

Thank you!

I haven't been here much lately and I discovered your new design! I LOVE IT!!!

Saskia

Cecelia said...

Saskia,

To prepare the pears, all you have to do is quarter, core, and peel. Place these prepared pears in a boiling syrup mixture of 1 cup water and 3/4 cups sugar. You can use more sugar if you like them sweeter. You want to make sure the pears are in the hot boiling liquid so they are hot all the way through, but you don't want to boil them too much and make them mushy. Then prior to preparing the pears you need to prepare the canning jars. Wash is hot soapy water and then place in a 200 degree oven. Place lids in hot water. Then all you do is spoon the pears into the jars and add enough liquid to 1/8 of the top of the jar. Wipe with a clean wet cloth the rim of the jar before placing the lid and rim on. As they cool, the lid will pop and that sounds means the jar has sealed. Hope you enjoy trying to can pears.